Creating Space Advice
Thank you for considering Creating Space for your basement project. We strive to provide each client with a positive experience from our first contact through the final "punch list". It is likely that you will be interviewing three or more contractors before selecting one for your project. Therefore, when selecting a contractor we encourage you to give consideration to the items listed below.
- Did the contractor respond to your first inquiry promptly as WE WILL?
- Is the contractor licensed by the State of Georgia? WE ARE: License #RBC002185. Effective July 1, 2008 all general contractors are required to be licensed by the State of Georgia if they do projects that cost $2,500 or more. Ask to see their state card and verify the license number on the Sec. of State's Web site https://secure.sos.state.ga.us.myverification/
- Does the contractor have both liability and workers compensation insurance. WE DO and they should.
- If the contractor cannot answer yes to # 2 and #3 above they should not be considered for your project.
- Did the contractor schedule the first appointment to fit your schedule and arrive on time? Were subsequent phone calls and e-mails answered in a timely manner?
- Did you receive a detailed, written proposal on or before the date the contractor said they would have it to you? We always get our proposal and a list of references to you when we say we will. Check those references. We will also show you completed projects if you desire.
- If you cannot answer yes to both #5 and #6 above this contractor is probably not very reliable.
- Did the contractor balk at getting a building permit? We have no problem with permitting our jobs.
- Avoid "LOW BALL" quotes that are vague and don't specify what is and isn't included. The price should be firm and change only if the scope of work changes at the request of the client.
- Make sure any "allowances" are realistic. Often contractors will "low ball" the allowances in an effort to get the job and you end up paying for it later. We will give you good faith allowances and explain how we determined them.
- Did the contractor want a large deposit to get you on their schedule? WE ASK FOR ONLY $500!
At Creating Space we are dedicated to providing great service and exceeding your expectations throughout the entire process. We strive to be fair with our pricing and to provide exceptional value. We look forward to being your basement contractor.